Crackdown on Foreign Hidden Income
August 15, 2009
IRS References for Life-Changing Events
February 3, 2011

When a financial institution has money for you, and can’t find you, after a certain period of time that money has to be turned over to the state, under what are called “escheat” laws. This is true around the country.

We were recently surprised, on doing a search of some of our client’s names, to find that quite a few had unclaimed property. If you live or lived in California, you can search for yours at this web site : California State Controller.

If you find one, there’s a link on the page to print out the claim form. You can also do this for deceased individuals, if you are entitled to their claim, and a search engine is also available for businesses.

Outside of California, a good place to start is

Originally posted at

Leave a Reply